Wednesday, May 21, 2008

6 Busy B's

HOW is it that I've never blogged before? I have always journaled (except for when I haven't - Alisa! :) and this struck me today that I NEED to write some things down...alot of things. Years and years and years worth...

6 Crazy Barnetts, Tom (44), Holly (39), Allie (17), Nathan (13), Samantha (10) and Andrew (7)
This is will be fun to record some of our "finer moments" (and I'm sure some of our "refining moments"as well!)

Just like the 19 years of post-marriage photos in boxes, I don't even know where to begin. I am just going to dive in. I will not let myself be defeated and quit before even making an attempt. I am not computer savvy. Reading Alisa's blog is so wonderful with all of her wisdon and coordinating pictures. But I want to do this for many reasons. To have something tangible to read, for my kids to read and to look back on and see my growth and what I was thinking about on any given day. I love reading about Alisa's life, her trials, her children, her hopes. I miss the Spears living close by. I miss blue blankie nights, funny kids and their great expressions. I know that they have the same goals as I do. To be kind. To try. To be good. To have patience and perserverance. To love this life and the eternities (and remembering to laugh and change your ways when you don't!) She is my inspiration for even wanting to blog. So here goes.

My oldest son Nathan (13) asked me this week, "Mom...when you were younger, did you want to be a "cool mom?" Shocked at the fact that he didn't already KNOW the answer to this question, I said, "YES!" And I truly, truly, truly, thought I would be. Then I had kids...not just any kids... MY KIDS. Somedays I feel like I've had the life...no...the "cool"...sucked right outta me. I am inspired by my sweet Alisa Spear when I begin to feel "that way", I remember reading HER blog recently and know that the only thing that I can change is ME. My attitude, My perception, My reaction, ME. I have heard this over and over, but I forget during the most crucial times! So, here I am at 39 years old, learning this precept right along with my kids on this one. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp...and even more difficult to remember?!

I was watching a taped Oprah and she was interviewing a guest that has written a book about improving your life (and feeling younger) from the inside-out. She posed the question, "When was the last time you had FUN?" And it hit me hard...I need to have more fun...to be more cool...to be available to my kids. To not get so bogged down in running "life" that I forget to live it and "be cool". I need to let the stucture go sometimes and do something spontaneous and FUN. So I asked myself that question, "When WAS the last time I had fun?"

Last weekend was the Father/Son campout, so I took the opportunity to have a GNO with MY GIRLS Samantha (almost 11) and Allie (17). We went to dinner, dollar movie and got ice cream afterwards. We laughed, we ate, we talked and laughed some more. What a blast. There was no time limit. We did what we wanted. I was a kid for a night with no responsibilities but to have fun with my girls.

I get it! FUN equals COOL...at least for that night. Now where is my old cheerleader's uniform?! (Hee Hee!)

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Ok- I am blushing-
When I blog, I forget that people read what I write- especially when there are not many comments. You kind of get this false sense that nobody is watching. Maybe that is good, because I have probably been more open and honest about what I write.
I am touched that you would feel inspired by anything about me!

Now- dear- is it possible for any family to have more fun?
Seriously- the year that we lived by your family is one of the most fun years of our life- and it by far should have been our most stressful.
You are a cool mom.
You are fun.
Wish I could have fun with your family and YOU right now!