Monday, November 17, 2008

40???!!!

I really didn't know what to expect. It was a little less "eventful" feeling than I imagined I'd feel when I was younger. I actually felt more on my "game" last year at this time. I had alot more energy, was on a better schedule and had more going on in my own life. (I was working a ton!) I woke up Saturday morning and it was just like any other morning....I don't feel like it's quite the "milestone" that gets so much hype. Maybe it will be like that at 50? I do feel like my Aunts and Uncles seemed alot "older" when they were in their 40's. I wonder what's ahead for me?

Goals for the year:
Attend the temple every month (don't know why it's so hard...there's one in every city!)
Get back into shape...make exercise a top priority again.
Finish the Book of Mormon (using the study guide mom gave me :)
Clean out the "cubbies" in my house.
Make toy room into an exercise room.
BLOG
Organize photos (I'm asking for a miracle here!)
Finish 2 quilts and some crafts hanging around my craft room!

The weekend was one big party. Tom had to be out of town unexpectedly, so I decided to take matters into my own hands and took the kids to Bonzai. As usual, we had a delicious dinner!!! It's always so fun and festive there...hard not to be in party mode. Saturday, I woke up to get Nathan off to BYU for Scout pow-wow and then went back to bed. Sam woke me up with breakfast in bed and the kids kept running in with little things that the neighbor's had left at the door. Mom called and we chatted for a while... Then I had to hurry and get ready for my first ever MASSAGE! It was soooo wonderful. Tom and Allie had planned everything and it was so nice. I met back up with the kids and we went shopping and then to Hogi Yogi (so UTAH, I know!) and had an amazing lunch with freebie desserts. Sam's cookie sandwich was out of control!

I got home just in time to get ready for a dressy evening out at Flemmings downtown SLC at the Gateway. I met up with our friends, the Steffens, (cuz we were celebrating Greg's birthday from back in Oct as well.) Tom flew in from CA and met us at the restaurant. He was so worried about missing the day, but it ended up being so wonderful and it was such a relief to see him walking down the sidewalk!!! My dinner was (all caps here...) scrumptious!!! I had the barbeque/butter glazed salmon with french onion soup to die for! It was so good I had to stop myself from licking the plate! What an amazing night. Great food, great company, great atmosphere. Definitely memorable and "outta the box". They gave me the MOST amazing chocolate dipped strawberries in a gift box to take home...

Sunday was the kid's Primary Program. (Andrew was in rare form and scowled throught the entire thing!) That night we had dinner and then played a loooonnng game of Monopoly with the kids. (We're still at it and will hopefully finish it tonight for FHE. :)

I'm exhausted just writing all of this, but I don't want to forget a single thing.

What I'm grateful for this past year:

PERSPECTIVE: Going through unemployment and financial stresses can either make you, or break you. In 2008, we had quite a year of both. I'd like to say that I feel like we handled it with a little bit of grace, (and I can't say that about alot of things in our lives,) but, I am pleased that we made it through with our marriage and relationships in tact. I can honestly say that I know that we were blessed beyond measure and were given strength when we couldn't do it ourselves. I feel like I am able to relate to those around me that are going through hard times right now. I am so grateful for that perspective...

TITHING: It is a gift and a blessing to pay a full tithe. My testimony is strengthened and I feel that last year was a bonding year for our family because of it. I've never had such an obvious feeling of the Spirit prompting me to do make one certain choice.

LOVE: Hard times make your relationships more evident. I am aware of alot more people around me, who truly care for me and my family. I felt alot of love and concern on our behalf, like we were actually in other's thoughts and prayers, even from those I don't know so well. We are blessed with much love from friends and family. We have such a full life because of our relationships with those around us.

HEALTH: I lost alot of weight last year. I've never felt so happy or energized. When I'd run "off road" I'd worry about spraining my ankle and I kept thinking, I am so glad that my legs work and that I can run! I loved feeling so strong.

RESOLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS: Trying to come to some sort of state where I could have a conversation with my father without anger or sadness. Having major "moments" and conversations with my children and husband bout destructive patterns of behaviors. What do we really want out of our lives? Focusing on the little things more...spiritual daily scripture study.

No comments: